RE: Rép : Keeping the off-topic off the list

Yeah, I can see why many things would be problematic in a digest version. What I don’t quite get is why anyone would prefer the digest version, when, with the modern auto-sorting capabilities of email clients, it’s so much easier to scan and manage everything quickly in non-digest format.

From: David Steinberg [mailto:waveform@free.fr]
Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2007 5:08 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Rép : Keeping the off-topic off the list

Well, as I explained before there are also people who use the digest version. It's just another way of reading emails, I've been doing this for most of the lists that I read for years. But I suspect that I'm part of a minority here :)

If people used subjects that are actually related to the content and if everyone erased the unnecessary parts of the previous mails they're responding to, the digests would be far easier to read and navigate, by the way...

Excuse my venting, Not that my opinion has or should have any weight here, but I find it to be a pain to be constantly nagged about this. There must be something I’m not getting about why the digest folks persist in that view other than habit (does it have to do with connection speed?), but, regardless of my opinion of that, I don’t see it as a no-brainer that everyone else should be inconvenienced so the digest readers can have it all just the way they like it (I’m sorry to make such a “they” out of you. I don’t know quite how else to say it). I have to admit, I know nothing about the relative numbers of subscribers in these formats.

The bifurcation of the lists is fun – it’s nice to be free of the topic police in the OT list – but it is already obvious that it’s quite absurd. There’s been plenty of loop-related discussion on the OT list. The running joke there has become “no, no – you’re not allowed ON topic here!” Personally, I’d rather see all Repeater-specific discussions moved to a different list, and a permanent Wiki established for the eternal laptop-vs-hw debate! :-)

And, of course, the whole Off-On topic debate is OT to this list, and has generated more OT messages by far than the book thread that spawned it. But that’s the nature of group deliberations, I guess.

Warren