Re: RME Firewire 800 and Guitar Amp Sim - Preamps

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill" <rs@moinlabs.de>

> Have you read Nels Cline's opinion about guitar amps ang guitar tone,
> especially in his "amp de jour" article? He seems to be using about the
> same
> settings as you are.

Thanks, I will check that out!

> And Luca said:
> "The electric guitar by itself is basically a piece of wood with a pickup
> and strings on it....sounds like total crap when you run it through a
> regular line input or mixer board, etc."
>
> Although I'm well aware of the fact that you have years of deep research
> in
> electric guitar sound under your belt, I dare to disagree here. It
>doesn't
> sound total crap, it just doesn't sound what people come to expect from
> electric guitar sound. Same goes if you take a really good drumkit, put
>it
> in a good room and mike it with two or maximum three excellent mikes (no
> close-miking, mind you), record that properly and then play that
>recording
> to contemporary pop/rock listeners and ask them whether this is a good
> drum
> sound.

Heh heh...I said that, Rainer, not Luca. :)  It was an exerpt from an
email
I sent to Jeff Kaiser,
and I prefaced it with a disclaimer that it was extreme and based on
frustration. I still
stand to my comment that for me plugging any guitar (solid body electric
or
my precious
hollow body PRS, or the tons of other guitars I've owned over the years)
direcly into
a mixer board produces very undesireable results and tone.  "For me" it
does
sound
like crap...sterile and lifeless. Perhaps someone likes the tone...not me.

Kris