Re: RME Firewire 800 and Guitar Amp Sim - Preamps

Thanks, Luca.  Wow, you have really tried a lot of gear. I will likely wait until I get the FW400 before I rush into anything for much of the same reason you explain below. Jeff Kaiser keeps telling me to just wait and see what my guitar sounds like when I plug directly into the high qaulity inserts and preamps of the FW400. He thinks I will be pleasantly surprised, and I may well be.  The less gear I can get away with using to get my ideal sound, the better.

Just for reference, I like a very dark, warm, and "semi" clean jazz tone. With 95% of the amps or preamps I have used, I tend to turn the high end nobs down to 0% or at the most 25%, mid range about 45%, and low end anywhere between 50% to 80%. That generally gets me the EQ I like. I would say I don't like a flat frequency response, then, in my sound source.  The rest is the "tubeness" of the sound...whether it breaks up a bit if I pick hard (not as much as Scofield, however), it's "sponginess" (opposite of what I hear with guitarists like Mike Stearn running through SS amps), and so on...all hard to define characteristics.

I can typically never get this sound when I plug into a mixer board, because the mixer is just re-producing what it gets, which is not what I want. In general, unless we are talking about full bodied jazz hollow body guitara and acoustics, I dislike the sound of the electric guitar direct into a board....it sounds dry, lifeless, and sterile to me, for obvious reasons since the sound source is basically a piece of solid wood with a magnetic pickup.  Something I wrote to Kaiser last night. Take my extreme phrases lightly, as I was frustrated when I wrote the email, but I stick to the general "spirit" of the message regarding the solid body electric as an original sound source:

"Guitar is very, very tricky. A lot of people don't understand that the electric guitar and guitar amp (especially the tube amp) evolved together. The electric guitar by itself is basically a piece of wood with a pickup and strings on it....sounds like total crap when you run it through a regular line input or mixer board, etc.  So with the guitar, it is a fallacy to focus on fidelity of caputuring the sound of the sound source, unless we are talking about the tube amp as the source, because the electric guitar as a original sound source is pathetic. And this is unlike the acoustic, which is a different animal"

I like this idea of the electric guitar and guitar amp being a mutual evolution over the years. It explains why so many guitarists get so frustrated with trying to get a decent guitar sound without an amp.

Kris