TC Konnekt24D revisited (was "comparison Fireface400 vs. Fireface800")

Kris said:

> I would be interested, Rainer, in your analysis and
> comparison of the FW400 ($1000), the TC Electronic Konnekt
> 24D ($500), Focusrite Saffire Pro10 (4500), M-Audio 1814
> ($500), and Motu UltraLite ($550) - all half rack firewire boxes.

You're asking questions...first of all, let me point out that (at least
according to the pics on their website) the Focusrite Saffire Pro10 is a
full-width 1HU box.

Apart from that, let me first explain my requirements when looking for an
audio interface:

Currently, I'm using a Presonus Firebox together with my trusty old Toshiba
laptop. When one day I upgrade to another music-making computer, I'm most
probably getting another interface as well. My requirements are to a small
degree (namely the form factor) dependant on a computer choice I've yet to
make:

Laptop or rack-mount computer?

I see two possibilities: a laptop or a 2HU rack-mount computer, with the
following advantages:

Laptop:
        * can be used independently of other stuff (but that's not that
important, as I already got a laptop for my on-travel mail reading etc.)
        * possible to use an extremely reduced package
        * no need for additional monitor, keyboard, mouse

Rack-mount computer:
        * individually configurable, parts can be individually replaced and
upgraded
        * can be installed in a rack together with other devices for
minimized setup time
        * more sturdy if mounted in a proper rack
        * cheaper (?)

If I use a laptop, the audio interface will sit next to it and any other
devices (mainly Behringer BCR2000) on a table of some sort. Here, a small
form factor is a great advantage.
If I use a rackmount computer, I won't add any half-rack devices to my
setup
(at least according to my plan), hence, I don't care whether it's 9.5'' or
19''.

Ok, now on to the interfaces you mention, more specifically the Konnekt,
about which I researched a little:

Obviously (according to recording.org and gearslutz.com), the converters
(both directions) of the TC Konnekt win over any direct competition
hands-down. The micpres are in the same league as the Fireface's, and thus
seem to be about the best in the direct competition (note that the Fireface
is the most expensive in this comparison).

CPU by using effects in the interface, then the Konnekt has obviously few
but outstanding ones. They offer one stereo channel strip (Finalizer algos)
and one reverb (M6000 algos). For me, it totally makes sense to use a
(either mic-channel or 2bus) channel strip in the interface, I'm not so
sure
about the reverb, as obviously you then won't be able to loop the reverb
for
some crazy reverse loop effects.

the first drivers shipped with the Konnekt seemed to have been a shitload
of
crap. At that time, they were publicly beta-testing an update, which seemed
to have fixed some of the problems, but you should definitely try before
you
buy.

When using it stand-alone, you can switch between three user presets on the
front panel (and still use the built-in effects). So this may make for a
good computer crash mitigation strategy

A functionality which btw no-one except for the FF400 seems to offer is the
MIDI-controllable stand-alone mixer. Too bad that Luca talked to RME but
not
to TC Electronics about this...

Summarizing:
If I had to buy an audio interface right at this moment, it would be the TC
Electronic Konnekt24D. I simply don't see a reason (for me) to spend that
much more for the Fireface400.

        Rainer