Re: o.t. READING / TV

On Aug 22, 2007, at 9:28 AM, Nemoguitt@aol.com wrote:
someone wrote last week that true happiness can begin after killing one's t.v.,

Lifestyle Choices Dept.-

I have personally been Tee Vee free for over 20 years now and do not feel like I have been "missing" a damn thing,
and am happy and still sane. (well, some people may want to debate that last part. :-))

Why waste any of one's precious limited moments in Life with something as mostly worthless as Tee Vee (sorry any Simpson's fans out there :-) )
when there are far more satisfying and intellectually nourishing, etc, things available such as reading, being outside as much as possible
and soaking up all of the Life that is out there (and sometimes inside too), along with countless other satisfying activities.

(Also,going to see good films at the cinema can often be a good experience, unless the film sucks, that is.
I try to avoid bad films, if I know enough in advance to do so.)

And of course, there is always......MUSIC! (especially of the loop-ish kind)

Besides the familiar "Kill Your TV" bumper sticker that likely most of us have seen, I saw another good one recently that said: "TV sucks. Read a book"
and that was on the back of a truck which was owned by a musician here in Portland, OR.   Nice connection there.

I DO still have a television set, but it only functions as a "monitor" for wonderful films (and even some "bad" ones too) and informational videos and DVDs.
Not the same as watching Tee Vee a la the airwaves. Having to choose from the "available material" on the air waves (or cable)
is not an "option" I want to take, and using a TV set as a "monitor" is not really any different than watching my LCD screen on my Mac.

Watching the air waves (or cable) or a "monitor".  BIG difference.

Throughout the years, when I have told people that I refuse to waste time and NRG watching Tee Vee, one of the responses I have often received
has been one that appears to be of complete SHOCK.

 And, an even more sad and disturbing one has been when someone has responded with:  "Well, how do you stay INFORMED?"     Oh dear.

Cheers,
-Rev. Fever