Re: octave pitch shifting down?

Graham,

  A "harmonizer" type of pitch transposer will allow you to retain the
basic timber and texture of the guitar sound. A wammy pedal is an
example of a good inexpensive choice here. The disadvantage is that
the process has latency.

An "Octave Divider" will generate a filtered squarwave output. Rather
synth-like and not 'bass guitar' like. The Electro Harmonix 'Octave
multiplexer" and the Boss OC-2 are good. The disadvantage is that the
effect is monophonic (that is to say only a single note at a time can
be processed - no polyphony)

A third option is to use a looper that allows you to record in
varispeed. The Electro Harmonix 16 second delay and the 2880 allow
realtime octave jumps. This produces the most realistic effect. THe
disadvantage is that your backing loop will playback in double time
while you overdub the "bass" part.

More sophisticated loopers like the looperlative LP-1 and the
software based "Sooper Looper" allow playback to happen at 1/2 speed
without affecting the other tracks.

-Chuck Zwicky

http://www.zmix.net