Re: general question about equipment

You are very much on right track Matt. These are my recommendations and maybe others more knowledgeable than myself will sound off their input as well.

If you are going to be an active live performance musician that reaps the most from his/her bountiful imagination's independent research, you NEED a laptop. Don't believe anyone that says you do not. Whether you get a Mac or a PC is entirely personal preference. There is positively no greater benefit from choosing either type of portable computational device. Anyone, and I repeat ANYONE that says different is just tootn' their own horn for the sake of hearing it. The key is: You MUST by a computer that can readily facilitate your needs as a musician via it's configuration. This means spending at least 2000.00 on a computer. Period. Anything less, unless you are a builder, is going to give you headaches a plenty.My specific and most respectful suggestion is that if you quickly and completely come to grips with this. There are many killer and I mean "over the top" smokin' music dedicated PCs available for 2000.00-2500.00. If you choose a Mac, (the highest quality mass assembled computer on the planet - hands down) they start out in this range and go up from there. I don't honestly think a beginner (such as myself) would truly benefit from a Mac 8 core however. Way too many software compatibility issues for the novice computer handler to over come IMO. I would sure as heck never pass up a Mac Book Pro Core 2 duo w/4 Gigs of Ram though.

You already named IMO the greatest software tool available to the average musician of any genre. Namely Ableton Live 6.0. Can't be beat. Don't be fooled by any of the moronic and useless discussion about which DAW sound engine sounds best. They are all the same with the true differences being found within the conversion process and initial bit rate.

If you come this far you will be confronted with several more necessary evils. Namely a high quality audio/midi interface and what in my opinion is the most amazing part of electronic aided music sculpture, either privately researched or publicly performed. The midi controller.<--Prepare to have thy mind completely BLOWN.

As far as your choice of hardware loopers are concerned, what is the current phrase sample length capability of your RC-20?