Choosing an Audio Interface for Looping - No General Recommendations?

With all this discussion, and also my observation of similar discussions
on
other lists, including MAX/MSP, my only sound advise to anyone wanting to
buy a audio interface for their pc or mac notebook, is to find someone who
is using the same system as  you (same software, audio interface,
notebook,
etc), and just replicate what they are using. As I've said before, there
doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Some people use one audio
device and experience great results and low latency; another person will
observe the opposite on a different system.

Each time someone thinks they have cleverly narrowed down the cause of low
latency or some other quality problem on their system (yes, even a mac),
and
consequently tries to generalize this as a recommendation for everyone,
someone else comes along with a different system and has no problems with
the interface. The power of counter-example with audio interfaces is quite
amazing on this group and others. It's as if no general statement about
any
audio device holds true as a general recommendation, and price seems to
have
nothing to do with it.

This being said, when I purchase a new macbook pro in January, I plan to
do
some user research (in the max/msp community) and find someone already
using
something with desirable results (close to my standards and user setup).
was leaning toward the Fireface 400, but even that recommendation was
based
on an older mac system.  I can't say for certain what I'll buy.

Kris