Re: Low Lantecy Soundcard for Laptop Gig

On 28 jul 2007, at 14.28, Sean Mormelo wrote:

> I need a good soundcard so I can use my laptop running LIVE with
> Clips to play with and use Mobius to loop over etc. I've got a
> Macbook Pro but will use Live in Windows and I'd like the sound
> card to have at least 4 outs. Any suggestions? Looking for somethig
> solid with low latency. Thanks!
>
> Sean Mormelo

Hi Sean,

I have a RME FireFace 400 that works well under both OS X and Windows
XP. This unit offers the best mic pre amps within that price range.
Its big brother, the FireFace 800, has actually not that good built-
in mic pre amps, but better AD convertors. That's because that
product target a more pro oriented user type that typically has
dedicated external mic pre amp that offers even better fidelity for
analog input. I also have an Echo AudioFire2 that is about the
cheapest you can go without buying crap. This also sounds good but
doesn't offer good mic pre amps. I use mine for digital input. I can
verify that it runs well with OS X but I have not used it with
Windows (might be good there as well). I have another, older PCMCIA
card from Echo, the Indigo i/o, but I would not like to recommend it
because it doesn't sound as good as the other two (you said you need
"a good soundcard" ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)