Re: Composers should also get paid

No, we paid it. I'm just certain it didn't pay for itself in increased revenues. Of course, that's a guess -- you have to decide who would have been there even without the music (or who would have come had there been no music), and then add whatever the listeners bought (which sometimes was precious little -- kids are poor). I suppose we could have had cover charges, but that's another can of worms. My feeling is, we were *so* low-budget and sub-professional that, I don't know -- do I care, really, if some kid down the street covers one of my songs? Especially if he's making no money at it.

We cut a deal over the CD license, as I recall. We couldn't afford it. So I think they took a few hundred dollars a year and let us play the radio under the reasoning that the tunes were partially paid for by being broadcast. It seemed kinda shady, to me, at the time. Maybe the heavy was giving us a break. Heck, maybe it was an outright bribe -- I didn't write the check.