Re: Composers should also get paid

Jon Southwood wrote:
> It's primarily a matter of "atmosphere." Why choose one bar over
> another, assuming they have the same beers available? Prices? Sure,
> but in a competitive market, those are going to be relatively close. A
> larger deciding factor for many is going to be the atmosphere. The
> music piped over the myoozak system or performed live is going to help
> people decided which bar to go to. That music can also have an effect
> on how much time a person or group of people stay in the
> establishment. The longer they stay, the more they're likely to spend.
You're spot on.  After my Classic Rock covers band played a certain
establishment for the first time, the staff told us that all the other
acts lost the corwd after their first set.  We kept a small crowd until
our last note died away.  We've already been asked back for a third gig.
> Ultimately, if the aural atmosphere had no impact on a restaurant or a
> bar, they wouldn't bother to pay bands to play or even bother to wire
> the place for sound. Who needs the expense and hassle? A bar owner's
> magnanimity toward local musicians will usually only last as long as
> their business benefits from the relationship. There are few who feel
> an altruistic drive to support local music(ians), business survival be
> damned.
That's right.  If we don't sell beer, we're no good to them.  And I bet
you thought of yourselves as musicians!  Nope, you're beer salesmen!

Cheers,

Bill