Re: Record Industry Decline

Paul Richards wrote:
> Who cares what radio stations are playing anyway?
Anyone who drives a car?  ;-)  The Arbitron ratings in my area show that
terrestrial radio is very healthy with the lion's share of the listening
market, especially when people are in their cars.  Yes, satellite radio
is starting to take some market share.  Nobody can get internet radio in
their car afaik.  We here at LD are not typical.  The masses are still
listening to FM.  What band that plays a mainstream type of music
wouldn't want a slice of that pie?
> I don't.
And most of us on this list are right there with you.  But we're, well,
different from everybody else.  Not only are we *musicians* (which is
bad enough already) but we're *LOOPING musicians*!  Gadzooks!!!
> Maybe I have a nilhilist attitude but I really don't care whether any
> of my stuff ever is played on the radio. I enjoy listening to it and
> that's all that matters. Those that need public approbation (or want
> to make a lot of $$$) suffer from the current poor radio condition. I
> do sympathize.
When wearing my rock band hat, I would like the opportunity to recover
my recording and CD manufacturing costs so I can continue putting out
CDs.  (I'm not even lusting to make a profit!)  Since airplay can aid
that goal, it is one avenue I must pursue, even though I know it's a
blind alley.  I'm not holding my breath but I plan to wear down some PD
who really *is* a music lover.  Just one will do so I can go to the next
station.
PD#2:  Well, who else is playing your record?
Me: Joe Blow at KRAP has been programming our "hit" for three months!
Yeah, in my dreams!!  ;-)

Cheers,

Bill