RE: Laptops -dedicated to music only?

He did say it.  Real RAM is very fast and lends itself to low latency audio applications.  Hard drives or things like memory sticks are a lot slower.  Fine for storing stuff and probably OK if you’re working on big image or text files, but not good for audio.

-----Original Message-----
From: BreachinThePeace@aol.com [mailto:BreachinThePeace@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2007 5:22 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Laptops -dedicated to music only?

In a message dated 7/5/2007 12:59:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, craig@craigmccollough.com writes:

well, it doesn't quite work that way - the speed of the media being
used does not actually match the speed of actual RAM. I wouldn't
trust an audio application with ReadyBoost. It is a very cool idea,
but no one should be misled in to thinking that it is the equivalent
of adding more real RAM. And for systems with >1GB RAM there appears
to be no significant performance increase whatsoever, AFAIK

Now, I readily admit that I may have been misinformed although the person I talked to was an engineer as I have ZERO idea about this sort of thing, but could I ask you to please back up what you are saying with some idea as to why this would not increase memory performance? Just so I/we could understand it a little better. It seems odd to me that what is being labeled "portable virtual RAM memory" would in no way contribute to 1 gig of onboard RAM.???????

See what's free at AOL.com.