Re: mic recommendations; champagne recording on a beer budget

Howdy,

 That's interesting. I did a session with my brother
and his wife playing old timey muzik with guitar banjo
and vocals. I put the 4033 right next to an AKG 414.
The 4033 sound very brittle and shrill compared to the
AKG. But that was just one mic. I'd like to do it
again with different mics of the same model.
Rig

--- RICK WALKER <looppool@cruzio.com> wrote:

> I've always had to attempt champagne living on a
> beer budget
> throughout my musical career as a professional
> producer/drummer/percussionist/band leader.
>
> Consequently, though I've tried out most of the
> expensive solutions for
> condenser recording
> microphones in large commercial recording studios, I
> was never able to
> afford the
> Neumann's, B&Ks, etc.
>
> So this is one of the best solutions that I've ever
> come across for a really
> great microphone
> combination.
>
> At one point,  Audio Technica put out a fairly
> pricey tube condenser
> microphone called
> the ATM 4060.   It's list price was around $1,400.
>
> Well,  as it turns out,   the ATM 4060 has the exact
> same microphone capsule
> as an
> earlier non tube version called the ATM 4033.
>
> This microphone capsule in the ATM 4033 was
> identical to the more expensive
> ATM 4050
> that my brother owns and has highly tauted.
>
> Well,  it turns out that the ATM 4060 has an A12
> tube in it and multiple
> polar patterns,
> both things the ATM 4033 lacks.
>
> Well, I'm not sure if my brother has ever bothered
> to change the polar
> pattern on the ATM 4050 or
> not,  but I certainly never have, so the polar
> pattern options are not all
> that interesting to me.
>
> Then,  it is now possible to buy an ART tube
> preamplifier for around $80 US
> which has the identical
> tube in the ATM 4060.
>
> Sooooo,   the ATM 4033 originally sold at $350 but
> can now be found used
> online for around $200-$250.
> At the top price of the ART tube preamplifier (which
> also has phantom power
> and phase reversal switches on it)
> you can have the absolute equivalent of the ATM 4060
> ($1,400) for US $330.
>
> **************************
> Now at one time,  a friend who ran a really nice
> recording studio lent me
> his Neumann U87 ($2,000)
> to compare to the inexpensive Rhode NT2 ($200 used)
> and Bill's ATM 4050
> (equivalent of the 4033).
>
> We did a double blind listening on both headphones
> and on monitor speakers
> utilizing three singers,  Bill, myself
> and my wife Chris (both of whom have  amazing ears
> as engineers and
> producers).
>
> Here's what we discovered , not knowing what
> microphone we were listening
> to:
>
> Of all three mics, the one that had the most detail
> by far was the ATM 4050
> which was noticeably more detailed than
> the Neumann (if a tad colder) and vastly more
> detailed than the Rhode NT2.

> [...]

Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all
the tools to get online.