Re: repeater looped vocals

On 29 maj 2007, at 01.28, RICK WALKER wrote:

> .how on earth can she make an initial repeater
> loop of fairly arhythmic vocals and then come back and perfectly
> play a 16 note
> hand clapping ostinato that syncs with it?

I'd say it's pretty obvious, if one is familiar with how vocalists
use to "think" when phrasing. The first "loop" she creates is the
sixteenth pattern, but she doesn't record it, just keeps it going
inside her head for reference. Then she starts singing the first
voice layer while keeping the glue to the envisioned sixteenth
pattern within. And the rhythm is the simplest possible; every word
"just" goes on the first downbeat of a bar (except for the latest bar
of the loop where show does a down-fall glissando of the word "now"
at that point) and she records the loop as four bars. So, there's
"the macro grid", if you like. If you look at the video you may also
notice that, while she is doing the hand clapping, she's watching a
beat meter led. The beat/tempo display/output from the Repeater
starts when closing the first loop and she lets the Repeater loop
pass four times before starting clapping hands, so the visual tempo
indicator should be perfectly stable by then. Unless this double
safety assurance she does end up a bit off, resulting in the few
overlapping hand claps sounding like flame hits. As I remember the
Repeater (haven't had one for years) it does sway up and down in
tempo just like that (which I like with the Repeater BTW - sounds
better on drones that on hand claps though)

The link for the video got lost from this thread. Here it is again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSIbfzK2spg

Greetings from Sweden

Per