RE:recording amp

I feel your pain buddy. I’m on my second modeling amp and I for the most part have gone back to using pedal effects and mic’d low wattage tube amps. Why? Because as much as I tried, I could not get a decent , artifact free black face clean tone out of either modeler. At the end of the day I could still hear the digital grunge lurking in the sound, and of course the dynamic range did not compare to the real thing. I have tried the new  Princeton recording amps and even though they are pricey they are a great tool, and not that pricey if you consider what black face Princetons are going for these days.. The other possibility would be something like a Mesa Boogie recording preamp. I’ve been eyeing a later model they made called a Formula preamp, which also has speaker cabinet simulation, but those are rare and discontinued. Has anyone on this list used one of these?

Bill