From: RP Collier [mailto:skeptikalist@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2007 11:31 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: ot: minimal ambient video

On May 26, 2007, at 10:58 AM, nico spahni wrote:

>  A very original approach to playing a traditional instrument! How do
> you pick up the signal? In the faux fur video there seems to be some
> kind of built-in pick-up.

Hi Nico

I use a small piezo transducer permanently mounted on the inside of most of
the thumb pianos. I got the plain piezo wafer disks at an industrial supply
liquidators, then I solder on lead wires and a jack either 1/8" or 1/4"
depending upon the size of the instrument.

For those interested, there is a source for flexible piezo film at:
http://www.windworld.com
in the catalog section I think.

Also for a quick and dirty alternative, the Signal Flex SF20 guitar tuner
pickup works pretty well as a temporary mount piezo, I've even used rubber
bands to hold it in place.

The sound in the faux fur piece was picked up off a Peavey amp speaker by
the mic in the digital camera, so it is a bit crappy but decent enough
considering it is just a low end point and shoot digital.

Thanks for having a look.

regards

BobC

http://tinyurl.com/yt8f8j