Re: question on clip you posted

On 24 maj 2007, at 00.53, Neil Goldstein wrote:

> Per
>
> At what point in the chain did you get that scale?

Hi Neil,

To specifically answer the question is that I got the scale at the
very first point: I played with that scale.

In Logic you go:  Files / Song Settings / Tuning. The setting affects
all software instruments, all synths and the sampler. The
architecture that makes this possible is that Logic's instruments are
not plug-ins but rather part of the application. Third-party
instruments can't be affected by Logic's preferences scale settings.

> Your description says 'western tempered' tuning (I assum in EXS) on
> your strat sample.

No, on everything! All Logic's software instruments are tuned
globally. The western tempered tuning is just the default. As for the
sample patch I did for EXS24 of my Strat (did another from my tenor
sax) I recorded every note with the physical guitar. In the EXS24 I
fine tuned the pitch of every note/sample, but this I had to do
according to "the default" which is the western tempered tuning. So
when I chose a different global microtonal scale the strat samples do
follow as well as any softwynth does.

> Does the EWI give facility  (with pitch bend) to define scales like
> that?

No. No scale defining in an EWI. Unless what you might do by instinct
when modifying the pitch by biting the mouthpiece while playing.

> Or somewhere else in Logic?

In Logic you go:  Files / Song Settings / Tuning

> Sampling is an area I have done nothing with, this inspires me to
> do more.

In that clip only the electric guitar was played via the sampler.
Everything else was played with the software synth ES2.

Logic's Guitar Amp Pro plug-in also deserves credits for the cool
guitar sound. Not only did I sample the physical guitar when playing
it through a tube amp and Marshall cabinet, I also ran the ESX24
through the Guitar Amp Pr software amp sim.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)