Re: Flow and Electronic Musical Instrument Design

On 18 maj 2007, at 19.14, Qua Veda wrote:

> I found this great article which bridges some things that I've been
> working
> on personally and at work (flow concepts) with electronic musical
> instrument
> design. I think many of you will appreciate and enjoy it as well.
>
> http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2004/12/29/flow_1204.html

Yes, very interesting article! Had me start thinking about how I
constantly work on my imaginable "mind maps" for creative
improvisation.  In any given musical situation I want to be able to
keep an immediate knowledge of at least three alternative strategies
to go forwards. It may typically be combining ideas on different,
complementary sounds or ideas on transition between different
emotions in music and how to make that happen when working with tools
like sound, melody, timing, harmony, style... The flow factor is why
I like live looping so much compared to composing or producing
recorded music. A funny detail, regarding this mental work, is that
in praxis it cooks down to the simple question "which parameters can
I take away to reduce my options?" But when I talk to fellow
musicians I'm finding that quite a lot of people think about it in
the opposite way, as "how can I get more options available?" ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)