Re: repeater news

Break out the violins (and crying towel)!

Mark Sottilaro <sine@zerocrossing.net> wrote:
On May 17, 2007, at 8:57 AM, William Walker wrote:

Kids!  Kids! Aren’t we taking this a bit too personally ?????

I don't think so.  I work, as do many of us.  Probably most of us.  Part of that work for me, involves giving time estimates to clients/bosses for work.  Recently, I had to pull a couple of weeks of 16-20 hour days to make a project happen because we had a deadline.  The client didn't care what it took, it just wanted the product (in this case an animation) on time, even though the reason we had such limited time was their fault.  If I missed the deadline, I'd have been fired.

Now, I know with a piece of manufactured goods, it's a different story, but let's face it.  I've said this before and I'll say it again: Don't promise your customers something that's not even remotely possible.  Sure, the Looperlative was a bit late and shipped with a few bugs... but it wasn't YEARS late, and it was mostly useable and really good as shipped.  He also worked his ass off to fix the bugs in a timely fashion.... and he's just a guy with a full time job.

So I'm not mad that v2 of the software took so long.  I'm mad that promises were made and then broken... and not just a little broke, smashed, pissed on, mixed with dog poop, formed into a little sculpture of a baby fawn and shot with a shotgun.  All they needed to do was come on a forum and explain the delay, but instead they just became silent.  It doesn't take much capital to type on a web page.

Mark