Re: ipods for field recordings

On 11 maj 2007, at 10.42, L.A. Angulo wrote:

> on my quest ofr a compact field recorder i have one
> more question,how good is the quality of these new i
> pods with plugin mics for field recordings?

As good as the mics you plug into it. And also as good as the mic pre
amps sound. The worst component in the chain is setting the fidelity
of the resulting recording. But it's hard to tell when not knowing
which specific unit we're talking about. Over here I'm using a Zoom
H4 and my recordings with the built in stereo mic sound so good that
I don't think it will get any better by using other mics. But I have
other mics, two CM2 condenser mics including a dual mic amp. I
haven't done any A/B testing but as I remember them they do not sound
any better compared to the H4 built-in mics. I used to record with
them and a DAT back in the pre H4 days.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)