Re: OT: amp - long cable - speaker = hum/noise?

Better would be:
long BALANCED cable - AMP - short cable - speaker
which would be not noisy.

noise is caused by EM radiation, which increases in impact on signal
basically as a square of strength per antenna length multiple of EM
wavelength.  The good news is your speaker cable is carrying lots of
watts, which the EM radiation will have trouble competing with.  Bad
news, when your signal is quiet, the radiation will sound loud.  Badly
engineered amplifiers that use overly simple negative feedback
elimination topologies can also bring that EM noise in from the
speaker line, and reroduce it, now driven by some fraction of
amplifier power.  Super bad news.  Noise can impact the amplifier from
other vectors as well, bad grounding with bad neg. feedback = massive
60hz AC hum.

I've seen shielding methods (wrap the speaker wire in metal/wiremesh/
other faraday like materials) as well as  really nasty volage
conversion inline (think the overhead musak in the 70's department
store) both of which don't seem to work well.

Short answer, move the amp. :)
-Miles

--
---Miles Ward