Re: Long distance Music

Quoting Michael Plishka <mike@michaelplishka.com>:

> I am trying to record with someone a couple thousand miles away.  What
> does this fair group suggest?
> 1. Doing my part of the recording and sending the CD or emailing the
>files?
> 2. Using software and synching up live?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Plish

I have been involved in a couple of long-distance projects.  In both
cases, the music was rhythmic/traditional (that is, not free-form) -
thus tuning and tempo were important.

In both cases I was adding a theremin track.  I requested two mp3's --
identical except that one of them included a cue track with my part --
I learned the part "by ear" from the version-with-cue but found it
easier, when time to lay down my track, to listen to the
version-without-cue.  I set my track's start and end points to be
identical with the supplied track to simplify syncing/mixdown on the
other end.  I recorded my tracks "dry" (no reverb or fx).

I sent mp3 files at first for approval -- and when the person on the
other end said that the tracks were ok, I zipped a .wav file, uploaded
it to my website, and then emailed the url of the zip to the person.

I have heard a little about real-time online collaboration however I
have no information about it.

-- Kevin