Musolomo to go Open Source...

Since there are a few devs on the list here, I figured this might be
of some general interest.

In the wake of Comic Life's success of on the Mac, Plasq seems to
have made a decision to divest itself of its audio software (which
currently leaves both Rax and Wormhole in a somewhat precarious
position).  As to the fate of their freeware Looping program --
Musolomo -- one of the Plasq admins (atariboy) has unofficially
announced that it will be going Open Source in a forum thread here:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2dsguj

For those of you who've never used it before, Musolomo is a quirky
little Looping plug that features a variety of interesting functions
-- instant sample mapping and transposition, forward/reverse,
DJ-style scratching, and an X-Y pad, just to name a few.  The
transposition in particular is actually pretty good/interesting, as
it was partially coded by Airy Andre (who also did the Speedster
plug).  The package is still up for download on the Plasq site, and
there's even a Universal Binary version that's been made available
through the forums.

Personally, the main gripes I've had with Musolomo are that there's
no real Feedback mechanism (so I really think of it more as a Phrase
Sampler than a Looper), and that the allocated memory fills up fairly
quickly.  It seems I always have to open multiple instances and use
them simultaneously to get around the memory issue.  Otherwise, it's
an interesting little Looping tool.

Perhaps in the future somebody might try developing it a bit further,
or porting it to a different platform (or at the very least just add
a frickin' Feedback function to the darn thing -- please!).  If
nothing else, having a look at the source code might give some of the
other developers here ideas for implementation of feature sets on
their own products.

        --m.