Re: Getting onto the show...

Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill wrote:
> Dear Bill,
> I think I remember a posting of yours on LD (?) a few years back where
>you
> explained how to present material to you as a candidate for broadcast on
> your show.
> Could you please direct me to this "howto" once again, please?
Hi Rainer,

Here's the form letter that I send out to people who wish to submit
music for consideration.  The tips link is contained in the text below.
My shows depend on fresh music and, as many already know, being signed
to a label is NOT required for getting airplay on my shows.

Cheers,

Bill
=========
All submissions are welcomed and will be seriously considered for
inclusion on future shows.   Nothing can be returned. Due to the large
volume of materials received, confirmation of receipt of materials and
confirmation of airplay cannot be made.   I also cannot provide comments
or an analysis of your music.  Unfortunately, there isn't enough time in
the day for me to listen to everybody's mp3 files.  I already have
stacks of CDs waiting to be heard.  You'll have to decide for yourself
if your music fits the format of any of my shows.  These are the cruel
realities I've had to face.

To learn if your submission has been aired, you should periodically
check the Playlists or request to have them emailed to you if you don't
already see them on one of the mailing lists where I post such things.
I also post all my playlists in a blog.  Please visit
<http://billfox.blogspot.com>.

Remember, BEFORE YOU SEND ANYTHING, please examine my playlists to see
what I tend to play.   I don't want you to waste your precious
resources, so please don't send something that I don't play (thrash,
rap, or dance music, for example).   ALWAYS match what you send to a
show's format or ethos.

Send your package to WDIY and/or WMUH and/or me.  Please be sure to tell
me which address you use.  Anything sent to a station will go into that
station's library for use only at that station.  You must tell me if you
send to a station so I know where to look for your package.  Anything
sent to me will go into my personal library for use only on my
appropriate shows at either station.  Your best bet to get on one of my
shows the fastest is to send your CDs directly to me.  They get into my
hands *MUCH* faster and it gives me plenty of time to preview your
music.  If your music is appropriate to other shows, then you might wish
to send to the stations.

I can NOT download your music or burn CDRs for you and I can NOT use
compressed files.  You must supply a full fidelity (uncompressed) audio
CD or CDR.  Other formats, such as Vinyl, cassette, and DAT are
acceptable but they are less friendly than CDs.

===
Bill Fox
P.O. Box 632
Nazareth, Pennsylvania 18064-0632
USA
===
WDIY FM
301 Broadway
Bethlehem PA 18015
===
WMUH
Box 2806
Muhlenberg College
Allentown, PA 18104
===

Please be aware that CD and CD-R in regular sized jewel cases are
considered to be the most radio-friendly formats at this time.   CD
players are much easier to use than any other format.   Anything that
doesn't fit into my CD travel case, which holds standard sized jewel
cases, is difficult to bring to the station.   Jewel cases also provide
a spine that is large enough to see the CD artist and title when I'm
trying to find something stored with hundreds of other CDs.   Any other
packaging style is likely to receive less airplay than something in a
jewel case.   The most important items to include on the artwork include:

A numbered track listing that shows the running time of each track.
A clear indication of the release's artist.
A clear indication of the release's title.
Contact information.
Want to maximize your CD's airplay?   A few more tips you might want to
follow are at:
http://soundscapes.us/afterglow/tips.html

Long tracks are not easy to excerpt unless you subdivide them into more
than one index number.  A CD that has one 50 minute track is not going
to get as much airplay as multiple tracks that total 50 minutes.  The
tracks can run together with continuous sound but now DJs have *easy*
access to more than just the beginning of the piece.

All submissions are always greatly appreciated.   But please do yourself
a favor and study the various sections of all my radio web sites first,
then decide if your music really fits in with the show's format.

I play Progressive Rock on two shows, eclectic mix on two shows, and EM
on two shows, spread across three shows on two radio stations in the
Lehigh Valley.  Please be sure to specify in the package you send which
show(s) where you want to target your music.  Your support is most
appreciated.

Cheers,

Bill - http://soundscapes.us/bill
==========================================================================================================
Host of Afterglow every Thursday at 8:00 am EST (GMT-5) on WMUH
Allentown 91.7 FM.
Phase 1: Mixed bag of acoustic, electric, pop, New Age, or whatever
strikes my fancy.
Phase 2: Progressive rock from past masters to contemporary releases.
Web Site - http://soundscapes.us/afterglow
==========================================================================================================
Host of the AM/FM Show every other Saturday at 6:00 am EST (GMT-5) on
WMUH Allentown 91.7 FM.
Phase 1: Electronic, ambient, and space music to bring you back from
"Beyond the Barriers."
Phase 2: Mixed bag of acoustic, electric, pop, New Age, or whatever
strikes my fancy.
Phase 3: Progressive rock from past masters to contemporary releases.
Web Site - http://soundscapes.us/amfm
==========================================================================================================
Host of Galactic Travels, an electronic, ambient,  and space music show,
Thursdays at 11:04 pm EST (GMT-5)
on WDIY 88.1 FM in Allentown and Bethlehem and 93.9 FM in Easton and
Phillipsburg, and on 93.7 FM in
Trexlertown and Fogelsville.
Galactic Travels web site - http://wdiy.org/programs/gt
RSS News Feed: http://wdiy.org/programs/gt/rss/enews.xml
Podcasts: http://wdiy.org/programs/gt/rss/gt.xml
==========================================================================================================
Playlists are also published at http://billfox.blogspot.com
RSS (2.0) feed from http://billfox.blogspot.com/rss.xml
Atom (0.3) feed from http://billfox.blogspot.com/atom.xml
Listen on-line to WDIY at http://wdiy.org and click LISTEN or go
directly to:
http://rm1.refugemedia.com/ramgen/encoder/wdiy.rm
Listen on-line to WMUH at http://www.muhlenberg.edu/wmuh and click the
REAL AUDIO link or go directly to:
rtsp://helix.muhlenberg.edu:554/broadcast/live.rm