Re: Mastering music

At 5:19 PM -0700 4/13/07, Ronan Chris Murphy wrote:

>These days it is very common to use some sort of extreme limiting to
>get the final levels louder (L1, L2, Finalizers, etc), but many
>times a sense of presence or bigness comes from judicious EQ; and
>often more cutting than boosting.

That's been my experience w/ projects I have mastered with Joe
Gastwirt, Paul Stubblebine, Jeffrey Norman and others.  Mastering
involves subtle and judicious use of signal processing tools to
clarify the sound and improve consistency of levels and EQ form track
to track.  It alost always has to dow ith cutting a little than with
boosting.

>If you are going to be using extreme limiting be cautious. At first
>it can be a little exciting but if overused can sometimes hurt some
>of the natural dynamics and change of texture that makes so much
>looping music interesting.

Amen!  I am on a mailing list with a lot of mastering engineers
(Sonic Solutions), and they've been upset for years at the amount of
squashing they have to do to please the record companies.  If you
look at most commercial CDs as waveforms in the Sonic edit window,
they resemble solid blocks of audio rather than the nice peaky
dynamic streams you' expect from real music.

--

David Gans - david@trufun.com or david@gdhour.com
Truth and Fun, Inc., 484 Lake Park Ave. #102, Oakland CA 94610-2730