Re: fretless guitar sustain

On 18 mar 2007, at 23.28, bill bigrig wrote:

> Howdy,
>
>  If you possibly can getahold of timothy Donahue. He
> put out a video years ago playing a fretless "guitar
> harp" the most awesome solo performance I have ever
> seen. Try and get a hold of him. Fretless guitarist
> for over 20 years.I'm sure he'd be awealth of
> information.
> Rig

  Rig, you must be thinking of this video?
http://www.dominonight.com/Jim/td_nhktv_japan.mp4

He plays Norwegian Wood on Japanese television. Veeery inspiring
performance! But it makes me a bit sad because you have to use a
"dual" instrument, like his, to play that way; I mean with all those
cool ritardandi and accelerandi going on under the melody. Sometimes
I get bored with looping because the loopers stays the same tempo as
you recorded the loops. Ok, you might use a Repeater with a tap tempo
pedal, but I tried that too when I had a Repeater and it wasn't at
all the same intuitive musical experience as being able to directly
PLAY the tempo changes on an instrument. Yesterday I was listening
through VAngelis' soundtrack themes (album: "Themes") and noticed
that he does the same tricks with floating tempi almost all the time.
That's easy for a guy like him that has learned two handed keyboard
playing for decades ;-))  The best way to enjoy a floating tempo is
still to play in real-time with a partner musician. Another thing in
looping that sometimes bores me is that you have to build things up,
as opposed to playing the full thing right away. The more you do solo
looping the more you long for playing with a duo or a trio and the
more you play with other musicians the more you long for those lonely
building-up-the-loops journeys. Nothing is ever good enough!

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)