Re: mp3/flac selling services

On 9 mar 2007, at 21.43, Michael Peters wrote:
> Ideas anyone?

I'm not sure what kind of ideas you mean, Michael, but I here are two
sites I like: http://www.magnatune.com and http://www.jamendo.com/en/.

Magnatune sells albums in the formats MP3, WAV, OGG, FLAC and AAC.
Play your music on any platform: Windows, Mac and Linux. No copy
protection (DRM), ever. When you burn a CD from their WAV files,
you'll have the same sound fidelity as a store-bought CD. But they
also sell physical CDs. Last time I bought an album (16 bit wave
format) you could pay whatever you wanted over a set minimal price. I
think that is nice, because if you should happen to have more money
you are able to give more to an artist you like and wants to support.
Magnatune have a funny branding, they admit being a record label but
they also stress that they "are not evil" ;-)

Jamendo only offers downloadable music albums in two formats: 200
Kbps MP3 or 300 Kbps Ogg Vorbis. The Ogg alternative is close to CD
fidelity. Some offered music is really good and I think they are
making a mistake in not offering also a FLAC alternative (lossless,
full fidelity format).  Music is given away for free and listeners
can donate by PayPal directly to the artists. All music recordings
are licensed according to Creative Commons. Jamendo started in France
and the site, that is rather community oriented, has grown into
French speaking areas and English speaking areas. I doubt they will
ever meet ;-))

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)