Re: audient incidents

Quoting samba - <sambacomet@hotmail.com>:

>  If musicians play slack cause the turnout is light,I'm less likely to
> support them in the future.There are other factorsif I know them I'll
> complain for sure.. But I'm more interested in the art than the glory.

One of my most memorable and personally fulfilling solo recitals was
when only one person showed up.

Over twenty-five years ago I played weekly recitals for a summer at
the (then called) RLDS World Headquarters in Independence, Mo.  A
number of us organists rotated for these daily recitals -- mine was
every Friday and the audience was mainly tourists who wanted to hear
"the king of instruments" -- a huge Aeolian-Skinner organ with over
6000 pipes.  A man who lived nearby took a liking to my playing and
was among the people there every Friday.  One Friday in late August he
was the only person who showed up.  So, I walked up to him and said,
"Well, you know my repertoire.  What would you like to hear?"

Turns out he liked REALLY BIG works... among his requests was the
massive "Fantasy and Fugue on B.A.C.H." (Captain Nemo plays part of
this work in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea).

I will never forget that recital or the appreciation of that gentleman.

-- Kevin