Re: derek bailey

...and don't forget that Derek wrote a wonderful book called 'improvisation -  its nature and practice in music'.

The first chunk is him interviewing people on improvisation in different genres (classical, raga, etc.) and the last few chapters is him talking about his own experiences and thoughts on improvisation.  It's based on a tv series he did for BBC; I emailed BBC about them putting the show out on dvd but they said they had no plans to do so.

It's a great book and highly recommended for anybody that is interested in non-idiomatic playing.  (That's Derek's term for his style of playing - he didn't like the term 'free jazz'.  I don't much care for the term either but it's the term that most people recognize...)

For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Bailey

ted.

Paul Mimlitsch <pmimlitsch@mac.com> wrote:
Thought this might be of interest:

http://www.ubu.com/film/bailey.html

- Paul

"Indeed, naturally I think that a film should have a beginning, middle, and an end — but not necessarily in that order." Jean Luc Goddard

It's here! Your new message!