Re: Zipper , an example (software testing)

Charles Zwicky wrote:

> Andy,
>  I think this assesment is too cynical.

sure, :-) fit's the facts though.

Where are the bug free DSP devices?
( other than simple ones )

> I have done beta testing with
> several pro audio manufaturers (I am a professional recording engineer)
> and the reality is that the "programmer " is often a part of a team of
> developers and programmers, and in DSP driven products, there are
> programmers dedicated to user interface, DSP coding, algorhythm design
> API integration (if it's software) etc.

Right, and that would be the case with Roland.

Actually I don't think Roland have a lot of bugs in their gear.

I'd be fairly certain they have guys to systematically test their products.
( but who wouldn't conceive what LDers would want to do with it)

>  As a beta tester, I was perhaps
> the only member of the 'team' who dealt extensively and exclusivly with
> the end product.
> The basic reality is that the alpha and beta devices
> are broken and malfunctioning and need sombody with excellent
> troubleshooting -and particularly communication - skills to sus them
> out.

wanna job ?   :-)

>  At some point, there is a 'drop dead' date and the thing gets
> released, warts and all.

Well, I'd agree with that.

That's why the LP-1 thing works so well.
There's no cut off date.
The buyer is a tester, and possibly a contributor.
...and generally buyers end up happy.

The same model works for software loopers.

andy butler