RE: mackie SRM 150's

Quoting Qua Veda <qua@oregon.com>:

>> From: Andrew Koenig [mailto:ark@acm.org]
>> >
>> > http://mackie.com/products/srm150/
>> >
>> > Mini PA -- 150 watts, 100-17K frequency response, 7.6 pounds, USD 300.
>>
>> By the way, here's the competition:
>>
>> http://www.tc-helicon.tc/Default.asp?Id=7274
>
> While you're at it,  check out EV's products in this size.

Also, there's the Roland CM-30 Cube Monitor (
http://www.roland.com/products/en/CM-30/index.html ).  Goes for about $175
street.

I've got two that I'm using together in a stereo pair with a crossover and
sub
for a 2.1 setup.  They work pretty well for what they do -- nice clarity
and
volume without getting 'crispy' up at the top end.

Their biggest weakness is that they really start to roll off below about
200-300hz.  If you're playing guitar, for instance, they sound great; nice
and
clean.  They won't do nearly as well with bass, although they don't start
break up or fart unless you hit them really hard in the lows.

I use the crossover to whack everything below about 400hz and send it to a
single Gemini GX-350 (about the same as the Mackie SRM-450), which has a
12"
and can handle down to ~40hz.

Setup sounds great, although if I knew for a fact that I was sticking to
the
same frequency range as a guitar, vocals, or most wind instruments, I'd
have no
issue with merely taking the two Cubes by themselves.  They're also
ultra-portable -- only a few pounds apiece.

       --m.