Re: Some ideas needed

I know with Pro
Tools friends who are WAY INTO IT don't even recommend copying files
from one drive to another because data can and has gotten lost.

Sure it can, but that's a pretty lame excuse for not copying files.
Haven't they heard of verification? It can get lost writing to the
original disk fer chrissake. What do they think they are doing when
they make CDs?

To back up a Pro Tools file you "Save A Copy As" to other hard drives which recreates the entire audio set, fades etc. I learned this from Metallica's engineer and have stuck to it pretty well... mostly. This is also part of the reason why some studios will ask you to bring your own firewire drive to sessions. There are other perks to this but it also keeps the data in one place as you go from studio to studio.

Once you put it on CD and it's finished that's another story. But, of course, there's AD converters and there's AD converters! I'm using a Lavry right now to master and the difference is quite noticeable. So the data is there... but not there with other converters! So, yes, it can get lost going to the original disc. I think the goal is to not risk losing anything... and when you're spending big money on a record every little bit matters a lot.

Or so it is said!

I don't think any of this is really relevant to mp3s. Sonically, they're already pretty much kaboshed (compared to 16/24/44.1 or above)... even though that's what most folks listen to nowadays.

Tony