Re: Stepping on silence, mojo and vintage gear

Doug, you wrote In the world of electronic chips and processors, I own a Boss GT-3. I love it. BUT. It has no resonance around the pitch of G. Regardless of the patch, it kinda goes limp when I play a G. I can feel my guitar resonating, but I hear the unit just tossing a wet blanket over the note. Explain that one. "

Its possible that the electric guitar you own has a dead spot resonate to the pitch G, unless all your guitars are doing this, I’ve used a groove tubes fat finger to lower the resonate frequency on my guitar and move 9but not totally eliminate) dead spots.

Nope, as I said, I can feel the guitar resonating on the note G. And I don't have the problem in any other system, and especially not in any tube amp.

But…….I think the problem you are encountering  may be inherent to modeling processors in general, I’ve owned stuff from Line 6 (a pod pro), Roland (VF-1), and a Vox tone lab se. Of the three, the vox sounds the best and feels the best to my ears and fingers, however, all of them exhibit a digital rasp or harshness, that is most apparent on clean tones, and open strings (the g string being the worst, but not the only offender), and hard playing only makes it worse and sound more harsh and hollow, with no bloom to the note.

This is the curse of digitizing. They just don't deal with overtones nicely. The VF-1 is, I believe, essentially the same as the Boss GT-3, and I just can't use the modeling or the clean sounds when I have several nice tube amps available. I can't explain it as well as an engineer, but my take is that analog is infinite in detail and forgiving at its limits; digital is finite in detail and unforgiving at its limits. Analog = good mojo, digital = bad mojo. It takes strong magic to harness the power of digital mojo.

Douglas Baldwin, coyote-at-large
www.thecoyote.org
coyotelk@optonline.net

"Life! Life!