Re: Vintage Gear, E-bait etc

Some interesting discussion in this thread! I didn't read them first,
deleting them en masse by the subject line, but then I happened to
see Richard Sales post and I started to crawl backwards along the
time line, into the the archives... I've have a japanese acoustic
guitar for twenty years and it's gaining better sound and personality
by each year. But I don't think it's all age, I once picked it in the
store because I thought it was the one that "sounded best" (which is
very subjective) and by then no one even knew what these K Yairi
brand was, I simply bought it because it was talking to me. But I'm
starting to think that this mysterious "mojo of the instrument" maybe
doesn't live that much in the instrument as in the preferences within
the user? I have been fooling around with many different instruments,
playing not only guitars, and over the years I have grown to learn
that there are certain frequency response dynamics that simply work
very well with me. Some instruments I just can't play because they
don't response much over those frequencies, no matter how good they
are known to be (in the eyes and ears of others). My tenor sax was
made in 1914 but I think the sound I like with it is also due to the
certain moth piece, an Otto Link nine star. I once sold that mouth
piece with an earlier - and utterly lousy - sax in the eighties. I
bought new stuff but never got the same sound, some frequencies "were
missing" in everything new I tried, although I was talking to all the
pro's and checking out their brands. Then one day, after two years, I
found my own old mouth piece in a second hand shop. Bought it of
course! It just sounds better than anything. Not long a go, back in
july, a Swedish wind and reed shop was visited by a guy from LA that
manufactures his own brand of mouth pieces and when I went to his
free class I brought my own old Otto Link, just to have some
reference. This guy is a very good sax player and sounded fantastic
when demonstrating his own products in the store - but the funny
thing was that when he asked to try my mouth piece he really sounded
a lot better!!! I just couldn't believe my ears (or my emotions,
because that mojo was working in there...) because he sounded like
me, just a lot more technically skilled and still a little different.
A strange experience, really. And this autumn while I'm mostly
playing an electronic breath controller I am experiencing that the
same "musical mojo" - or whatever you call it - is also present in
pure electronics! THE ONES AND ZEROES CAN GET ANIMATED! How about
that! Yesterday I was reminded on this when working out a multi
sampled and multi layered sampler patch based on recordings I did
with the 1914's sax and that huge opening Otto Link. Playing that so
familiar sound from an electronic controller that is so much more
sensitive and expressive (in some ways) than the original acoustic
instrument, is both strange and inspiring. But no doubt it's the same
angel tossing around behind my back, no matter if I'm blowing into
the old metal thing or the wired up plastic sci-fi thing. The bottom
line is that I have learned to adjust digital parameters to deliver
the same mojo quality that seems to come built-in with the '62
Telecaster I use to borrow (from my bro) to play on rec sessions. So,
I'm thinking the mojo is in the eye of the beholder. IF there was a
method to measure all those delicate factors that are at work when
the angels pop by, you would be able to scientifically detect "an
instrument's soul"... but there isn't such a method and will probably
never be. Since humans are part of the happening system it becomes
too complex for measuring ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)