Re: Compact guitar amp...

From: "Zoe Keating" <cello@zoekeating.com>

>I tried a very small Schertler amp a few months ago and was pretty
>impressed....but that was with a cello.

Was it the David? I tried one here in Boise...very nice sounding....though
they were mainly for acoustic vs. electric mondern jazz...but really nice
amps, nonetheless...built like tanks (Swiss, of course, I think).  I can
see
how they would sound great for cello.

It's funny how my taste has changed in amps over the years. I used to
think
boutique amps, $1000 and higher, were the only way to go...and I've owned
few of them over the years (power, pre, combo).  These days I find that a
$200-$300 amp suits me just fine, and that the "alleged dream tone" really
isn't dramatically different than a mid-range amp.  This is only my
personal
experience and opinion here, of course. I can generally get a tone I like
out of a lower cost amp. I put most of my investment in my guitars and my
playing technique.

I'm also finding that there is a trend going on today with guitars and
amps.
Many foreign manufacturers are starting to produce some very affordable
gear
that plays really good and consistently. A local music store here has some
hollow body jazz guitars that are made in Taiwan that play just amazing,
and
are a fraction of the price of the boutique jazz axes. I know some guys
who
have paid $40,000 for their Gibson L5s, Super 400 or Wes Montgomery
model.s....freakin' insane.  I think Gibson's guitar are grossly
overpriced...you can get a not-well-known luthier to make something for a
fraction of the price.  I wouldn't even feel comfortable taking a guitar
like that (the high end Gibson's) out of the case at a gig.

I've read on MANY jazz guitar discussion forums that the Roland Cube 60
($300 +) is a great pick for diverse tone and portability. It keeps
popping
up as a great pick....pretty amazing and quite appealing for a bunch of
old
guys with gray hair whose backs are too bad to lift those Fender Twins and
JC-120s.  Purism in amps is starting to lose grip a bit with all the
latest
greatest DSP technology.   Interesting phenomeon going on with music
technology.

Kris