Re: NINJAM plugin released

At 11:26 21/11/2006, you wrote:

>>>I was thinking about listening to what the other musicians play. If
>>>they play in a certain tempo you I'm sure you may be able to play in
>>>the same tempo. I think it would work fine although someone will
>>>always be one or two bars late... or someone else being one or two
>>>bars early ;-)
>>>
>>>Per
>On 21 nov 2006, at 09.46, a k butler wrote:
>>So you just let them do all the work :-)
>>..with Ninjam-metronome, or whatever.
>>
>>...and if they get it wrong they hear you out of time, but it
>>sounds ok to you
>

>Well, those questions have been circulating in my mind since the Y2K6
>Ninjam. After the festival I listened back to recordings and it
>seemed as every recording sounded uniquely different - and also
>different from what I heard while playing :-))  I don't see this as
>total flaw, because you may stick to a musical style where such
>discrepancy doesn't matter much or even plays a contextual role?
>
>I think we're eventually misunderstanding each other somewhere in
>this discussion? It shouldn't be associated with "doing a lot of
>work" to play musically, listening to each other to stick with the
>same tempo and key etc. Normally that's the most easy task in music
>because that's what sounds best to every one and simply the direction
>any group improvisation naturally gravitates to.

Hi Per

Sure, but with the Ninjam delay things aren't normal.
Either you conform to the delay, or you don't sync with the other guy.

In a way it's like using a fixed delay, and learning to sync your
playing with it.
With a whole bar delay it takes a bit of practice to get things going.
There are a number of strategies to use:-
1) get to know that delay length very well
2) feed in non-rhythm sounds till you start to feel a beat in there
3)....and so on

..but the situation is different with Ninjam (unless Stefan is
involved) because you're responding
not to your own playing directly, but to someone else's
interpretation of your playing.

It would be really interesting to just play, and see if it was
possible to sync up.
I'm thinking it would be quite hard to achieve sync, and then easy to lose
it.
We should try it.

andy butler