RE: MUSE RECEPTOR (was: Re: laptop setup - which rack to use)

Soon everyone will have one, with uniwire it can be used to take processing burden off a DAW for plugins, for live every instrument in a band can be using one for instruments and effects including voice, it's disgusting but totally righteous. And it offers protections for the sound makers, so they'll be able to stay in the sound making business. The only rub as I see it is that it can't use/boot from an external drive and no utility for backing up the existing drive (in case one crashed in a tight situation and just the sheer hassle of if you had to redo the drive), also an extended warranty would be nice to be able to buy.

It's $1699 with a 160gb HD more with the 400GB model.
and there's a Muse Receptor/Colossus Bundle deal at Soundsonline

http://www.soundsonline.com/Special-EW-Receptor-Colossus-bundle-pr-M-REC01.html
Checked with Soundsonline and the Receptor in this bundle is the Rev C which has the Turion which is the latest improvement and resolves the heat issue the older units had, the only thing is they're backordered a bit.

http://www.museresearch.com/

glenn

Jeff Larson <jeff.larson@sailpoint.com> wrote:
Fr

om: Per Boysen
> No, but it's an interesting product. I checked the web site but
> couldn't find a pricing? I have some faint memory of these things
> being incredibly expensive... anyone know what the sell for? BTW -
> What would be the point to use it for loopiing? Loading it with
> Mobius VST? Sounds like problems to me. It only comes with 256 MB
> RAM!!!

They are fairly expensive. I don't remember exactly but they
were above $1000, and probably near or above $2000.

They run the Linux OS, which means that while they claim they
can host any VST, they actually can't. Many of the commercial
VST companies have ported their products to the Receptor, but
not all. Some of the free VSTs will run on it but many do not.
Mobius cannot run on it, I'm not sure about the other VST loopers.

It seems best suited for keyboard players that want to
take VST instruments on the road.

Jeff