Re: laptop setup - which rack to use

Hi Rainer,

for computer cases you might check out casetronics, They make quite a
variety of rackmount computer cases. Sounds to me like you should look at
the sliding drawer type of solution for your keyboard and monitor. I think
the monitor folds in over the keyboard when closed, slides out and flips
up
for viewing. The only drawback to this when I considered it is the
potential of blocking your other equipment.
For interfaces you might look at the motu traveler or the Mackie 400f.
Both
of them have 4 mic preamps and can act as standalone mixers without the
computer. The mackie unit looks real interesting, it has insert points for
the four mics for external processors before going to the ad/da
convertors,
and seems to have pretty flexible in and out routing options. There's one
on ebay right now in British Columbia for a good price (529 US) The
traveler I can't speak to though I think some people here have them. I
thought it was a bit odd that the midi connections were on the side and it
seemed to me to be very awkward to get them.

Gator makes a large variety of racks, they may have a configuration that
works for you http://www.gatorcases.com/

my .02, I'll be interested to see what solution you come up with.

Paul Haslem
Ontario, Canada
www.dulcify.ca