Re: Ninjam server

At 2:20 PM -0500 10/23/06, Daryl Shawn wrote:
>Thanks for putting this out there, mech, it sounds like a
>possibility for sure. The actual server requirements from the Ninjam
>page (http://ninjam.com/download.php) suggest a server of at least
>500mhz, and 4meg of RAM use (I don't quite understand this myself,
>as most servers would have at least 512 meg of RAM...?). Probably
>the main concern would be bandwidth, to make sure sessions can
>happen without killing your wife's sites (and by proxy, you). Ninjam
>says 768kbps outbound is required for a 4-person session, which is
>more than any DSL connection I'm aware of. I think we'd want to be
>able to host four people at least comfortably, plus hosting sites,
>so probably a meg of upload is what we'd want. Is the server on DSL?
>We could certainly see about bumping up the bandwidth and paying for
>that, plus of course reimbursement for the use itself.
>
>Yes, I think Krispen was involved with setting up the server for the
>Kyberfest so I'll check in with him. Mark Francombe also had one set
>up for testing.

Hrm, I was just looking at the specs, and this may not be quite so
bad.  Although my server's only got 512meg of RAM (I've only got
512m? I could swear I'm paying for 1gig.), it's still looking like
there's enough horsepower -- and certainly enough diskspace -- to
spare.  I'm connected through an OC192 in the datacenter, so I think
the bandwidth is good just so long as we don't go above my 500gb
traffic allotment on any given month.  I do need to see if I can get
the software to compile, however (i'm on linux).

I think it's worth having a conversation with some of the experts,
but before I go too far, I'd like to know how much interest there is
in this really?  Anybody else like the idea of another Ninjam server
out there?  If we get one set up, is it actually gonna get used?

TIA!!!

        --m.
--
_______
"Take a packet of seeds.  Take yourself out to play