Ehcoplex Loop IV Sensitivity

I have ignored this issue because I thought it was just the nature of the Echoplex but when recording it seems to have a low threshold and cuts out before the sound source has finished. The Echoplex is still recording, I can still here the sound source - like the sustain of a guitar chord - but when it plays back the sound sources tail has been cut off. A note played with lots of reverb results in the reverb being cut off. Is there something I can do with the settings or is this just the way the Echoplex works. I have the input on at 1/4 and output full. Changing these doesn't seem to make any difference.