Re: "Instrument" vs "Effect"

I love conversations like this!

Consider this:

Male vocal singing pre Mic/PA technology was mostly
done in falsetto.  Why?  A baratone male couldn't cut
through a band.  This is the way it was.  I believe
Bing Crosby was one of the first popular male singers
of modern times that sung in a natural range.  Why?
Because he used an "effect."  Tech.  Lo-tech to our
rapidly cyborg approaching ways, but tech none the
less.  It changed music... and then there was the
electric guitar....

--- Krispen Hartung <khartung@cableone.net> wrote:

> Yep, that's the beauty of language....we can do just
> about anything we want, but whether we'll be able to
> communicate with people is a different matter.
> Theoretically, we could redefine every word in our
> local language and be able to communicate, so long
> as we all carried our dictionaries around with us.
> There seems to be one common theme with this, which
> is that the closer we get to value-based, highly
> personal, or controversial subject matter, the more
> diverse or fuzzy become the definitions of terms and
> phrases.  For instance, although we could force
> ourselves to do this, we probably wouldn't spend a
> whole discussion thread on what we mean by the term
> "red".  Though, on a painter's forum, they  might
> very well do this, going into different shades,
> whether burnt auburn is red, or whether certain
> shades are orange-red or reddish-orange, etc.
>
> So, how does one define "instrument" in this forum?
> I'd say the number of definitions is about directly
> proportionate to the number of people who would
> respond to that question...and then let the games
> begin! (Language Games, that is).
>
> Kris

triple-axle-reverse-tuck-double-flip-360-degree-twist