Re: "Instrument" vs "Effect" (was: laptop-loopers (guitar)

Title:
I turned this over in my head a lot when once asked when I considered whether a turntable in the hands of a DJ was an example of an instrument. I finally decided that, for myself, to call something an instrument, it needs to be capable of controllably originating a sound. So, then, windchimes don't count, delays/loopers/effects don't count, and turntables don't count. This is no way diminishes what people do with these things - loopers in particular! (ducking) - I simply don't call the boxes an instrument, but another type of tool used in the music-making process. And yeah, I suppose there are shades of meaning here, like the self-oscillation that Rainer pointed out which arguably could turn an effect into an instrument, but I think generalizations could be made.

On the effects tip, I like Krispen's analogy of the palette, because it also implies the difficulty of having to try to become familiar with a huge number of possibilities, and then, having to choose among those possibilities. More colors, but more judicious decision-making and experience are required to master the canvas.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
 It's like being asked to create a painting, and you get a pallet with 50 shades of colors on it, plus some sand, mud, plastic, wood, and other things to add texture to the canvas.....vs. only having the primary colors.  The analogy is not perfect, but hopefully conveys the gist of what VST effects can do to help expand you creative potential with the guitar, vs having to eek it all out with just your instrument.