RE: What controller for laptop loopers

Most laptop loopers use midi controllers as their interface.  Ableton Live
is good for this (and the new version ... out soon ... is adding
additional
functionality in this area).  See Kid Beyond for examples.  The problem
here
is that it's rather complicated to set up.

I believe Mobius allows you to map midi commands to functions, but I have
only just started experimenting with it, so someone else will have to fill
you in on the details.  Obviously a good program though.

Also, there is a small utility online at flyloops.com that can handle 5
indepedent loops, and allows you to map to midi controllers and assign
various functions.  It's a pain in the ass  though, because the programmer
did the program in C#, so you need to install the .NET environment to run
it
(oops).  I still think it's a good program though because it doesn't stack
loops - it keeps them in parellel, so you can undo/redo/multiply easier
than
most loopers.

now to hardware:
If the foot controller you have is not a midi controller, you may want to
look into buying the Behringer FCB1010 or something similar.
Alternatively,
you can use a keyboard style midi controller and set loops to record/ play
/
trigger events / effects when you hit a certain keyboad key .... and to a
limited extend control effects and volumes with midi sliders.  I'm
guessing
since you a guitarist though, you will probably want to go with the foot
controller.

>From: Andrew Lipnick <alipnick@earthlink.net>
>To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
>Subject: What controller for laptop loopers
>Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:00:26 -0400 (EDT)
>
>Ah, the debate rages on:
>I am considering changing to a laptop looper (most likely Mobius). I am
>primarily a guitarist and for me the software and especially the hardware
>interface will be key. What do you all feel is the most ergonomic
>controller for this purpose?
>I have an old Ground Control foot controller with some pedals to get me
>started. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Windows Live Spaces is here! It’s easy to create your own personal Web
site.
  http://spaces.live.com/signup.aspx