Re: Steve Reich

On 18 aug 2006, at 20.11, Neil Goldstein wrote:

> Just listening for first time to Stever Reich's "Its Gonna Rain Pt 1 &
> 2" after this getting chosen  as 100 something in the
> pitchforkmedia.com 'greatest songs of the 60's!
>
> Sounds like the Loop Windowing techniques on the EDP, but using
> tape in 1965....

I agree. I directly fell in love with Reich's music first time I
heard it. It's an instant blessing being able to create similar
sounding parts by real-time performed live looping. One difference
though is that if you use EDP loop windowing or play Mobius scripts
you may not always be able to tell exactly what is going on in
detail, only that you like what you are hearing and thus keep
composing with it.

Some three days ago I was thinking about this when playing around
with Mobius in 5/4, 6/8 and 7/8 timing measures. Then I checked out
Reich's Music For Large Ensemble and some other recordings I keep
with me on my iPod and I realized that he changes the the time
measure quite a lot in his pieces. That's still rather difficult to
do in real-time live looping when you are both the composer, the
director and the instrumentalist in the same (poor) person ;-)  Maybe
it's technically possible - at least with Mobius - but musically, I
mean how the hell to you reconfigure your brain to suddenly change
between two odd timings? The fact that Reich's music does that is
making it great IMHO, it makes you loose the orientation for a while
before those seemingly fragmented sounds do fall into a new rhythmic
order, as your listening does adapt to the new landscape.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)