Re: looping sampler with midi capability

Michael,

On Aug 15, 2006, at 12:13 PM, michael sintros wrote:

from my research it seems like the akai s20 might be my best bet.

I would not count on the S20 to be a good live looper. It was a decent little phrase sampler
for its day and price point. I still have mine collecting dust out in the garage somewhere.
I used it on my CD too (if that matters) back in 2001. But it is rather s-l-o-w to save and/or
load files (my gosh it uses "floppy" diskettes fer cryin' out loud) ancient technology.

And, yes you need to push a few buttons before any live input would be saved and ready
to loop. It has very little onboard memory as well. I don't know why I hang on to mine. I've
long since replaced it functionally with a Boss SP-303 (which is almost obsolete as well).

The one thing the Akai S20 had that I wish more groove/phrase samplers had was the ability
to have the loop fade out over time . . . just like on a digital delay. All Boss products (to my
knowledge) only have static loops that play until you turn 'em off . . . very disappointing.

If you have your heart set on owning one still . . . pay my postage and I'll hunt up mine from
the garage and send it to you free. I've long since lost the manual (I'm pretty sure) but I'd
bet there's someplace on the net to download one in PDF form. The thing isn' very useful
to me any more.

Peace,

tEd ® kiLLiAn

“It may be true that my desk here is really "nothing but" a transient eddy of electrons in the flux of universal process. Nevertheless, I find that it continues to support my feet, my revolver, and my cigars all day long. What happens when my back is turned I don't know. Or much care. That's no concern of mine.” -- Edward Abbey

http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian
http://www.guitar9.com/fluxaeterna.html
http://www.garageband.com/artist/ArsOcarina
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2845073
http://www.netmusic.com/web/album.aspx?a_id=CBNM_17314

http://www.loopers-delight.com/cgi-bin/profiles.cgi?step=view_profile&id=121197000042

and Viztas. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Blah, blah, blah. So???

"Different is not always better, but better is always different"