Re: Attitudes to instruments/loopers (Derek Bailey)

I think this is particularly a problem for guitarists. Heheh. I'm one.
I don't like playing strange guitars in public. I do develop a certain
attachment/raport with a particular instrument -- mostly based on
familarity with all of it's quirks (and, of course, my own).

The same could be said about looping gear regarding this "familiarity."
However, I have used several hardware loopers over the years . . . and
feel
I could make valid music with any of them (or no looper at all). It really
doesn't matter to me.

On the other hand I have no problem whatsoever playing in public
on a non-guitar instrument that I have only passing or no familiarity
at all with. It's very fun and freeing to play in a situation where I am
not just partially, but TOTALLY naive when it comes to playing something
propperly. I can become absolutely fearless . . . in a REALLY odd sort of
way.

Maybe someone should organize a festival for musicians to play "Mystery
Instruments" (by blindly pulling slips of paper from a bag or something).
I'd be all for it. It could be really, really fun.

Cheers

tEd ® kiLLiAn

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." -- Richard Feynman

http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian
http://www.guitar9.com/fluxaeterna.html
http://www.garageband.com/artist/ArsOcarina
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2845073
http://www.netmusic.com/web/album.aspx?a_id=CBNM_17314
http://www.loopers-delight.com/cgi-bin/profiles.cgi?step=view_profile&id=121197000042

and Viztas. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Blah, blah, blah. So???