RE: Looping Laptops in general (WAS Products, Services, and Looping Gear "Packages")

Title:
From: Daryl Shawn [mailto:highhorse@mhorse.com]

> These discussions of laptop looping are fascinating to me...

I think your points are sound, except perhaps for this one:

> And if something does go wrong, with something like the Looperlative I
> can get in touch with the developer and get assistance that will cover
> anything that has gone amiss.

The Looperlative  is the exception here.  If your EDP or  Repeater breaks
down in Des Moines Iowa, who you gonna call?  Assuming you can have a
replacement Fedexd to you, you're still looking at a day of down time,
and if you need it fixed it's at least a week.

It certainly takes planning and discipline, but if I were a touring
musician I'm confident I could resurrect my entire system on a
borrowed laptop in a few hours provided I could reinstall the OS.
If the problem was in the audio interface, any Best Buy carries
products that will do in a pinch.  But you do have to know what
you're doing and plan for this.

> Then there's the latency. Any perceptible amount seems insurmountable
> to me. I wouldn't want to have to do a workaround if one day I decided
> to start singing into the thing, then realizing I need to "adjust" to
> compensate, as was discussed earlier this week.

If I understood correctly, the latency issue being discussed had
nothing to do with laptops, but with the "air latency" between an
accoustic instrument (such as a voice) and a monitor speaker
far enough away that the speed of sound causes  a  perceptable delay.
You would have the same problem with a dedicated hardware device.

Jeff