forum vs list (was Sheer Volume on this List)

Title: forum vs list (was Sheer Volume on this List)

>>What do you guys think of having a FORUM instead of a mailling list?
The good thing about forums is that you can browse in a structured way and don't have to scroll through millions of mails..<<

yeah, but with forums you are less likely to read something by accident & think "oh, actually that was interesting/diverting/useful/whatever"

I find myself visiting forums quite infrequently, & usually only when a topic-reply-notification pops up.

the digests I get of this list are actually quite easy to deal with. I can dip into a "thread", even if the subject line is misleading or (for me, anyway) off-topic, & if I'm interested, I can back-track & read the rest of it. sometimes I don't see them for days, then read through dozens of mails in about twenty minutes.

I might visit a forum once a week, or even not at all unless I'm looking for something specific.

another way to look at it is that forums tend to be useful for support & faq type stuff, while a list is free to engage in open-ended discussions & from time to time even revisit old ground, intentionally or not. in the case of this list, that nicely reflects it's main subject matter..... :-)

someone help me get this fence out of my arse.

d.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe