Re: RC-50 video on summer NAMM

okay, I forced myself to watch this video.

He's a good player, he has a good command of the unit, he's a
multi-instrumentalist, and he pulled off the requisite "white lie"
hype-it-up marketing spiel up front. He did everything he was paid to do,
but that is the instuctional extent of the video.  BTW, in the US at
least,
it is legal for most companies to lie in their commercials about their
products, provided they don't have the lion's share of the marketshare.
It's
a funny quirk of US free enterpris You can hear this in our commericals,
whether it is cars, processors, computers, etc. But I digress...

These NAMM show videos aren't really supposed to be formal
training/instructional videos. No one expects this, right?  That would be
too complicated and involved, overshadowing the promotional function of
the
event.

Yes, the camera pans on the floor unit once in a while, to show him
hitting
a button, etc...but, as someone said early, this is pretty much useless.
In
the training world, I would get fired if I produced that video for a
corporation.

In general, when it comes to complicated gear like this, a live
instructional video is going to be inneffective. People need to be able to
take training at their own pace and with more than one medium...this is
how
people learn. What we need is a self-paced instructional package that
blends
bits of live videos for demostration purposes, close and intimate screen
shots or videos that show programming key functionality, step by step,
ability to practice, text version of everthing, ability to practice, etc.

But effective training  isn't cheap. A few years ago I oversaw the
development of a 2 hour self-paced training module. It features live video
of a speaker, powerpoint slides, text, checkpoint questions/quizzes,
exercises where people could practice what the learned. It cost me $40,000
USD, because of hourly vendor costs, consulting, time to shoot videos,
code
the modules, and so on.

At some point in time, I thought to myself I am in the wrong business,
because if I had my own video equipment, editing software, and development
tools, I could have done the product myelf for my own company. If I had a
steady stream of business, I could easily produce a module like this each
month...that's an averaged time, including time with the client, etc - it
took three months to develop this $40K module, but not continuous time.
That's roughly $480,000 USD a year. Once you get the tools and processes
for
development standarized, the rest is just consulting time with the
customer.

Kris